Monday, January 4, 2010

dear dorian


I'm in the process of reading A Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, have you ever read it? I've taken to carrying it with me wherever I go (a bit silly, no?) but I cannot release it.

I wish I could crawl into the pages of the world he paints
oh Mr. Wilde will you take me away into the labyrinth of your imagination?
We could get lost, you and I, in Basil's garden
and kiss the bees as they slumber past.
We'd never get old because
you would keep me immortal in your mind
and though I should end up jealous of a portrait,
we two could conquer the world with words and flowers.




"Now, wherever you go, you charm the world. Will it always be so? . . . You have a wonderfully beautiful face, Mr. Gray. Don't frown. You have. And Beauty is a form of Genius- is higher, indeed, than Genius, as it needs no explanation. It is one of the great facts of the world, like sunlight, or springtime, or the reflection in dark waters of that silver shell we call the moon. It cannot be questioned. It has its divine right of sovereignty, It makes princes of those who have it. You smile? Ah! . . . Live the wonderful life that is in you! Let nothing be lost upon you."

photos

2 comments:

<☮>